Tuesday 25 October 2011

Fall Colds

What a crappy week this has been.  I had a cold going into last weeks race and the day after the race the cold turned into a full blown sinus infection.  I haven't felt so horrible in a very long time, in fact I felt so bad I almost went to the Dr's which is something I never do.  I don't see the Dr unless I've broken something or I think I'm dying!


Needless to say I haven't felt like riding at all since the race, which works out okay because Adam has totally cleaned my borrowed single speed and I am forbidden to get it dirty again.  My 14" Kona Lisa 120 is all cleaned up too and listed for sale if any one's interested in a full squish bike.  







The chilly wet weather has turned me into a baker again.  


Banana Berry Bombs

Mix together dry ingredients.

1 cup oats
1 ¼ cups flour
½ cups sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt

In a separate bowl mix together.

1 ½ cups mashed ripe banana
1 egg
½ cup butter

Mix the dry and wet ingredients together then add in blueberries.

½ -1 cup blueberries

For muffins bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes.  These ones I cooked on my flat cast iron pan like muffin tops at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.







Rich Sweet Rolls or Bread


4 cups flour
2 ¼ tsp yeast
3 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3 Tbsp butter
1 egg
½ cup warm water
½ cup milk

Knead all ingredients together adding a bit extra water and milk if necessary until a stretchy soft ball forms, about 5 minutes.  Let rise, covered with a tea towel, in an oiled bowl for 1 hour or until doubled in size.  Punch down.  Divide dough in half.  Shape one half into a loaf shape and place in a buttered loaf pan.  Divide the other half into ¼ cup balls and place in a shallow buttered pan.  Cover both with a tea towel and let rise 1 hour or until doubled in size.  Bake at 400 degrees.  Buns for 15-20 minutes, bread for 20-25 minutes until they are golden brown.


These buns I made in my small cast iron muffin pans.




Whole Wheat Bagels

6 cups flour
2 ½ tsp. yeast
3 Tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. salt
1 ½ + cups warm water

Add all the flour into the bowl of a mixer with a kneading attachment.  Mix in yeast, sugar and salt.  Add water slowly with mixer on until a soft ball forms.  The ball should be wet but not stick to your finger when touched.  Add extra water if needed or a bit of extra flour if the dough is too wet.  Knead for 5 minutes.

Let rise 1 hour or until the dough in doubled in size then cut into 16 equal sized pieces.  Roll each piece into a rope and join the ends to form a circle squeezing well.  Boil lightly salted water in a pot and drop the dough circles into the boiling water for 30 seconds each side.  Then bake in an oven at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

For whole wheat just substitute whole wheat flour for some or all of the flour.

1 comment:

sunshineprincess said...

Hey- it was nice to meet you both at the hardwood challenge. don't worry about the germs- we kept our distance as we heard you coughing. i just read your blog- love it. and the baked goods look yummy. I am pretty much gluten free/paleo. though I do cheat when sometimes, especially when I got to our local pub and I love beer too much to give it up completely. i hope you are feeling better and feel free to email me if you want any wheat free/gluten free recipes- or to ride!